Couscous is not only light & fluffy, but just like pasta & rice, it’s very versatile too. You can keep it simple with sautéed onion, baby capers and drizzled olive oil – or dress it up with additional ingredients like pumpkin and zucchini.
This recipe is super easy and very colourful too. It’s from a book titled The Thrifty Kitchen, by Suzanne & Kate Gibbs. The book not only serves as a fantastic kitchen resource, is packed to the brim with full page recipes accompanied with photos – but it also houses a lot of quick ‘snapshot’ style recipes, no longer than a paragraph long and with no accompanying images. And that is where I found this beauty!
Moroccan Paprika Chicken
2 zucchini & 250g pumpkin, diced
3 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons preserved lemon, sliced*
2 cups instant couscous
4 chicken thigh fillets (or 3 chicken breast fillets)
*If you don’t have preserved lemon slices, still try this recipe and add lemon wedges to serve instead.
1. Boil the diced zucchini and pumpkin in the chicken stock for 5 minutes.
2. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, preserved lemon and couscous to the pot.
3. Take off the heat and leave covered for 5 minutes.
4. Season chicken fillets and grill each side until cooked and golden.
5. Slice chicken fillets and dust with paprika.
6. Serve couscous topped with chicken slices and a sprig of mint.