When I dine out, I love to explore the menu to find something I either haven’t tried before or would never be bothered cooking at home. I like to experience new tastes, combinations and be inspired by presentation. And from this, I can add these new ideas to my home menu. A recent outing had me ordering a dish with Chorizo and prawn. A combination I definitely wouldn’t have thought of putting together plus, I love both those ingredients immensely.
I never take notes nor do I poke around in my dish when I receive it. I take mental notes while enjoying my dish, so it’s never obvious and I can remain in the social moment of dining out. But I will announce whether a dish going on the home menu – and the Chorizo and prawn dish was a definite keeper!
Chorizo is a Spanish sausage, pronounced Chor-ee-tho. Yes, it feels weird saying it with a ‘th’ when you are used to saying it with a ‘z’! This meal can be made with either tagliatelle, the wider pappardelle or thinner pastas such as fettuccine or linguine. Tagliatelle is a nice in-between width to use.
Chorizo & Prawn Tagliatelle Recipe
Ingredients (serves 4):
2 Chorizo sausages, sliced
300g King prawns, tails left on
1 cup Kalamata olives, pitted
100g rocket leaves
1 large red onion, sliced
salt & pepper
300g tagliatelle egg pasta
1. Put water to boil for the pasta and cook for recommended tome on packet once boiled.
2. In a wok, caramelise the red onion slices in olive oil. Set aside in a medium sized bowl.
3. Wok fry the sliced Chorizo for 2-3 min, then add the king prawns and fry for an extra 1-2 min.
4. Toss the Chorizo & prawn mixture in with the caramelised red onions.
5. Split the Kalamata olives in half and toss into the same bowl.
6. Once the pasta has cooked, drain and add to the same bowl with the Chorizo & prawn mixture.
7. Add the rocket leaves, drizzle extra olive oil and then mix until coated well.
Serve with freshly grated Parmesan (optional).
Have you ever eaten out somewhere and enjoyed it so much you had to make the same dish at home? If so, share what this special dish was in the comments below!
Bowl with yellow design – Mozi