This super-easy, super-delicious dessert also looks AMAZING and is perfect for both kids and adults alike. It looks as amazing as the Ice-Cream Soda (Spiders), and you can also get creative with different colours & flavours of jelly.
This one has been specifically created for an after dinner dessert on Halloween (for dinner, we are having Smoked Pork “Ghoulash” – keep an “eye-out” for that one on the blog soon). OK, enough with the sub-standard puns and on with the recipe for:
Scrambled Zombie Brains!
A few handy notes on the ingredients:
- Pre-make the jelly ahead of time – it requires 4 hours to set. Using a fork, break up the jelly into blobby chunks.
- You can either make your own plain sponge cake, or buy it from the supermarket. Cut the sponge cake into bite size pieces (don’t worry about being neat).
Assembly of Zombie Brain Trifle:
1. Scoop a layer of jelly into the bottom of a glass or clear dessert dish.
2. Scoop a layer of thick vanilla custard next.
3. Then a layer of cut up sponge cake. Adding the layers in this order means that the sponge cake gets scooped up with enough custard so it’s moist to eat.
4. So at this point, the Zombie brain needs a little more “ewwwww” factor, so we are going to add a drizzle of red food dye. If you use the little plastic squeeze bottles, you can easily rim the glass with food dye and let it ooze down into the cake and custard.
5. Last of all, top with more custard and jelly – half on each side of the glass so you get to see them both when looking into the dessert. A total visual feast!
As an alternative to Scrambled Zombie Brains, you might want to substitute the green jelly with blue jelly, and make Gargamel’s Minced Smurfs!